Thursday, December 17, 2009

"cat in a trap" and finding the holiday spirit


With my father now put to rest, I am trying very hard to move on, but its not easy when everywhere I turn there are reminders of him.
Finally this week we were able to catch his stupid cat. I call the cat stupid as a term of endearment because that's what he called it. My father was not a cat lover, he was without a doubt 100% for team dog. However about a year and a half ago his neighbors home foreclosed and they carelessly packed up and left leaving behind a cat to fend for itself. Well this cat found his way to my fathers doorstep, and my father caved and began feeding the cat. He begged us to come get the cat "I don't want it" he would say, however everyday he had some exaggerated hilarious story about the "stupid cats" antics. Despite his complaining we new he was smitten with this cat, especially when we found out that the cat loved to take boat rides with him (my father lived on a lake). How many cats love to take boat rides let alone go near any water. (Just to clarify for any Pita people, this cat would follow my father on the boat and was not forced, my father would drive and the cat would sit in the seat next to him and catch some rays-I regret never getting a picture) It wasn't long before my father started letting this cat that he now named "BUB" into the house, and he would stress over buying gourmet cat food or finding the right cozy blanket for a cat. My father needed the cat as much as the cat needed him. When my father passed we could not get near the cat who was outside at the time my father was transferred to the hospital. Day after day my sister would leave food, but unable to approach the cat or leer it in. finally in a last ditch effort we left a "have a heart" trap hoping to get the cat. My husband went out the first night to check it (my sister and I to afraid other critters might find there way in), and my heart melted when my husband called and said "hope someone is ready because I have one really angry cat in a trap". So the cat is now with my sister and she says he is 100% love, and so affectionate and happy. So with finally catching this cat I feel I can move on. Decided to finally put up a tree, which thrilled my son, I'm slowly finding my way through the grief and finding a little Christmas magic -My father would have wanted it that way!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

touching, touching. sending love to you...

xoxo