Sunday, January 23, 2011

He will be coming around the mountain



My husband has started getting patches of gray hair for a while now, something that I have delighted in rubbing in his face. The tables have recently turned and he has had the opportunity in giving some of that grief back. He now has been pointing out the new patch of gray hair that now grows from just behind my right ear. I have heard jokes and silly tales that moms of boys go "gray early", well if such is true then after this nail biting weekend my small gray streak is soon to grow into a full head of silver hair. My son has taken up snowboarding, and while I don't want to sound like a mom boasting, he is good, real good. He gets on that board and is a natural, getting far to comfortable and now starting to perform tricks and stunts that make this mom gasp and sick to her stomach. I keep a list of orthopedic surgeons stored in the back of my head, certain that this new hobby of his will no doubt result in at least one trip to the ER. Do all moms of children who love extreme sports have these thoughts rolling in their head, or do they have more confidence in their kids? I am elated that he has found something he loves and I smile inside watching him grow at it. I don't want to hold him back from it, but I sill hold my breath every time he is up on that mountain, only breathing when I finally see him come to the bottom still standing on his own two feet!

No comments: