Monday, October 17, 2011

Defying gravity



This past week we took an amazing vacation. I did something that has been on my bucket list for a long time....
Last Wednesday the sun high in the sky, the air warm I stood on a dock, the song "try defying gravity" from the Broadway play "Wicked" played over and over in my head as my stomach fluttered anxious for what I was about to do. Not only was I going to do it but I was taking along my 10 year old son for the adventure. He looked just as excited and I wondered what was going through his head was he also prepping a soundtrack for this milestone to bookmark this moment forever. We climbed aboard that boat and were given quick instructions- "was it that easy?". We were strapped into our gear and stood at the back of the boat, my husband our official photographer at the front snapped away. Our boat fired off and the instructor let out the parachute, a picture of a skull and crossbones (how fitting and a sign that my father the wanna be pirate was looking down with approval). "Lean back the instructor" says. My son and I lean back and slowly the parachute pulls us away from the boat... The boat moves forward and we move higher in the sky. Like two birds soaring without a care in the world enjoying the bright clear sky. To say it was amazing would not do it justice. For this mousy girl it was an experience of a lifetime and to share it with my son what a gift! We stayed up in the sky for about 20 minutes wordless just taking it all in. When it came time to land the boat pulled us in easing us slowly and safely to the back no bump no thud just as easy as walking down the block. It was then once on the boat when my husband asked "well how was it" that my son grabbed me and hugged me and said "it was awesome, can we do it again"! And that is the story of my Para sailing adventure!

No comments: