Thursday, July 23, 2009

Harmony


Most weeks I live for Friday, that last hour of the work week, thoughts racing about weekend plans... I don't dislike my job, (well maybe the paperwork). I love working with people. On even the busiest or craziest of days I will have at least one patient teach me something even though it is my job to teach them. I have learned so much about different cultures, beliefs, values... The stories I could tell (the stories I cant tell because of confidentiality). while I became a nurse to make some sort of difference, (when we are young seems like we are anxious to save the world) what I did not realize was the difference it would make on me. I could not even put into words the growth I have had over the last 10-15 years. Any good nurse can tell you not the stories about how many lives they saved but rather the stories about the patients that left some impression on them.
Recently I was telling a patient this who was lonely and wanted to talk. She asked me if I liked what I did?, I started telling her that most days I loved it, that I loved that everyday meant a new person, new experience. She wanted to know if working with people different from me and my beliefs every bothered me? It was a funny question but I told her that no, I had no issue with being respectful of others beliefs . That is when in a most heartwarming touching way she took my hand and said "good for you, If we all sang the same notes there would never be any Harmony". Can I just tell you that it is moments like these that make me love my job make me proud to do what I do. What a beautiful thing to say. What a beautiful way of seeing the world.
"If we all sang the same notes there would never be any harmony"

1 comment:

Mindy said...

wow, that's a tearjerker! tell me you didn't cry when you left....?