Sunday, November 22, 2009

"Hold on tight"


Today my baby turned 9!! Very exciting time around here! Yesterday a family member called to wish him early happy birthday wishes and asked him "what he was looking forward to about turning 9". My sons response about melted my heart... he said "I cant wait for mom to come in my room in the morning and say 'happy birthday 9 year old'!" Evidently my yearly tradition of going into my sons room and wishing him happy birthday with his new age, has become important to him. Who new something so small and mundane would mean so much, its funny what kids value sometimes.
In any case while it excites me that he is growing, it also aches. Last night as I tucked him into bed and hugged him goodnight, I hugged him hard and tight, he giggled and yelled "your smothering me" what he didn't know was that like his tradition of morning birthday wishes, I have a secret tradition of hugging him tight the night before his birthday, it was the last time I was going to hug/hold my eight year old, and a year from now I will give my 9 year old his last hug as a nine year old, and two years I will hold on tight to my 10 year old.........I love him so much!! Happy Birthday 9 year old!!!

No comments: