Saturday, February 6, 2010

"Winner, Winner, no chicken dinner"

A quick run into the store the other day before a meeting at work. I was in a big rush, but had to stop and buy dish detergent so I could tackle the growing mountain of dishes after work.
The lines were crazy long with only two lines open. I waited, my agitation and fear of being late growing.
Finally my turn, the clerk scanned my item and went to hit the total button on the register when the red light above her began to flash... "now what" went through my head when the clerk and the nearby manager began to holler "We have a winner, We have a winner". All eyes in the crowded store were on me......."What did I win" I asked excited. The enthusiastic manager pulled my receipt and like a game show host announced "You have Won a free bag of Cotton balls"............. As much as my spirit was crushed in that moment I think I truly crushed the clerks spirit when I asked her if "I could instead choose door number 2"........ And my husbands thought on this "Big Win" is that I now can at least say "I have won something" !

No comments: