Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Beautiful Music



I love that my son chose to play the violin. He came home one day and asked if he could learn to play. He has a wonderful music teacher who has taken on the task of teaching any third grader who wants to learn the violin. Like most parents I was skeptical about his choice, certain it would loose its appeal in weeks...however much to my surprise and poor dogs ears the violin endures. A few weekends ago my son participated in a music camp fundraiser where kids (who play string instruments )from area schools all got together for a day to rehearse and then put on a concert at the days end. There were 5 different orchestras and depending on your level of experience determined what orchestra you were in. My son obviously participated in orchestra I. Let me tell you, when you hear the few kids in his class play they clearly sound like beginners but their hearts and best effort is there. when you put 140 beginners together something different happens, the music blends and is magic. They seem to feed and be inspired by one another and there was a beautiful harmony that made for a beautiful concert that I was proud to attend.
I am thankful for music teachers who often have to fight to keep the music in schools alive. Music programs are often underestimated, overlooked and usually the first to get cut during budget cuts.
What I saw at that concert was confident, inspired, dedicated and well behaved kids and the value of that is priceless..

No comments: