Monday, May 10, 2010

cooking up conversation

I love to cook, but not a forced lets make dinner cook, I sometimes get inspired at bizarre moments/ hours. Tonight I was putting away dinner when I discovered some ground sausage in the fridge quickly approaching its use by date. so at 8pm I decided to cook up an awesome breakfast for tomorrow, throw it in the fridge and heat and eat in the am- LOve it! My son in his PJ's comes strolling in ready for bed, (after a chaotic morning when I could not get him out of bed we had agreed tonight he would be in bed by 8pm.) My son waiting for his tuck in, sees the culinary chaos going on in the kitchen and says "can I help, i love to cook"? I overlook the time and allow him, he gets his old step stool and starts sauteing the onions. As he sautes and I chop, he tells me about his day, about how the new kid made a bad choice and pinched so and so, about how he is learning all about Einstein and a little know fact that Einstein played the violin. We are Deep in the throws of conversation and good cooking when dear hubbies nose gets curious and leads him to the kitchen, he samples the cuisine, adding spice not only to the pot but to the conversation. A moment meant to be thrifty, and creative turns into a great family moment. No rushing to feed hungry mouths, just cooking up some food and conversation!
*** (On a side note my son promises to jump out of bed in the morning because he is looking forward to eating our breakfast!)

No comments: