Sunday, May 2, 2010

Victory




Every year my son competes in a local fishing derby held for kids 15 and under, its a lot of fun and holds a lot of history for me as my father used to take me to the same derby when I was a kid. This year preparing for the derby we discovered my sons reel was broke, so last night we quickly ran out to replace it. Very emotional when he picked a red reel "just like grampies". My father passed away 6 months ago, when he was alive one of his favorite things was to take my son fishing, he talked with great pride about his own pole he had nicknamed "big reg". somehow after my fathers passing big red has come up missing, we figure its sitting at a friends but its bitter sweet as he had bequeathed his pole to his only grandson. So that being said it was somewhat of an honor when my son picked a red reel like his grampies, and just like grampie he gave the reel a prominent name, he named it "Victory".
So today my son took Victory to the Derby, he cast his line... I was prepping my camera for pictures when I heard my son holler "V-i-c-t-o-r-y" He with no assist from his mother or father had hooked and reeled in his first fish! Beaming with pride I snapped picture after picture, all the while thinking he didn't do it alone, his grandfather was there!

No comments: