Sunday, October 17, 2010

fairy houses


When I was a kid I loved to play in the woods behind my fathers home. He lived on a little peninsula on a lake so you didn't wander to far before you hit water. What I loved most were all the old trees growing in unusual shapes up from the edge of the lake or into the damp boggy woods. It was an enchanted land I would imagine. One time my sister and I found two dead twisted tree roots just laying in the woods, we imagined that a unicorn had shed its horn. We took turns taking those twisted roots to school show and tell, and tried to convince our classmates it was a genuine unicorn horn. We would take old ply wood and build forts around trees that grew in a cluster, then we would sit and wait watching for wildlife or better yet fairies to emerge. Like I said it was an enchanted land, that was long forgotten once we lost our youth. we are now preparing to sell my fathers old home and have had to spend a lot of time out their renovating. Today my little one wanted to go for a walk in those woods, feeling a bit nostalgic I took him up on the offer but I told him we had a mission to see if the old fairy house was still out there. He rolled his eyes at the thought but as we walked through the woods amongst those twisted tall trees he turned and said to me "you know this could be a magical place". And sure enough right where I remembered it was the little "fairy house", but sadly no-one was home they must of all been out enjoying the fall foliage;)

No comments: