Sunday, October 3, 2010

stray cat strut


A little over a month ago, we suspected we had a visitor of the critter kind, there were signs. Then one day she showed herself, this tiny little malnourished cat peered out from under our shed. So cute and so ridiculously underweight we took pity and left out a bowl of food. she was far to shy and skittish to let us near her. So every evening for the past few weeks we would take turns sitting outside with her while she ate. we have become attached to this little visitor, so much so we had to give her a name, and hence "pudding head" became part of our life. I was obsessed with this cat and worried about making this cat comfortable so she would learn to trust us so we could bring her into our warm abode this winter. Little by little we earned her trust, enough so she would let us pet her and love her but not enough for her to want to come into the house. Today my husband found her shivering and starving (did I mention this cat eats like a horse) so in she came. She made herself comfortable, that is until anyone went for the door in which case she would try to get out. I tried to convince her it was better in here then it is out there, but there is just no reasoning with a cat:) deafeated I let her out, but followed her because there was something that bothered me about this tiny little cat, her belly was full, could it be full of milk, I asked my husband. I followed "pudding head" out to our backyard and to our woodshed and in a flash I saw the little kitten run out from under a wood pile latch on to his momma, aka "pudding head" and then spy me and run back under the pile. "Pudding head" has kittens! So alas I am running a Maternity ward for cats out in my woodshed. I have no idea how many kittens as I am to afraid to move anything, so as not to cause an avalanche of wood onto the wee ones. So now I will sit and patiently wait for "Pudding head" to trust us enough to introduce us and while I wait I will wonder what to do with all these cats.

No comments: